Barcelona testing day 4: Raikkonen ends testing on top
March 4, 2012
Posted by on
Raikkonen finished testing on top
The final day of pre-season testing concluded today, with Kimi Raikkonen finishing testing the way he started it – on top of the timesheets.
The Lotus driver set a 1:22.030 in the morning, followed by Fernando Alonso. Bruno Senna finally showed a glimpse of Williams’ potential pace in 3rd.
The entire field was within 1.5 seconds of the leader, as most teams opted to set low-fuel runs in the morning. The afternoon running saw most teams switch to race simulations.
Kamui Kobayashi and Vitaly Petrov caused today’s two red flags, both drivers stopping out on track during the day.
Sebastian Vettel spent the entire day at the bottom of the timesheets, as Red Bull continued to do setup changes. His running in the morning was delayed by a problem with the pre-existing setup, and not the new package installed yesterday. Similar to yesterday, the car was covered in mechanics and umbrellas as it entered the pits.
The only team with the ability to do any more running is HRT, who want to test out their car tomorrow at a filming day. Marussia, who also have not turned a wheel this year, will not be able to test until Melbourne, as they still have not passed the FIA crash tests.
Times from Barcelona day 4:
1. Kimi Raikkonen Lotus E20 1:22.030 121 Laps
2. Fernando Alonso Ferrari F2012 1:22.250 115 Laps +0.220
3. Bruno Senna Williams FW34 1:22.296 53 Laps +0.266
4. Nico Hulkenberg Force India VJM05 1:22.312 101 Laps +0.282
5. Kamui Kobayashi Sauber C31 1:22.386 72 Laps +0.356
6. Lewis Hamilton McLaren MP4-27 1:22.430 115 Laps +0.400
7. Vitaly Petrov Caterham CT01 1:22.795 101 Laps +0.765
8. Michael Schumacher Mercedes W03 1:22.939 100 Laps +0.909
9. Pastor Maldonado Williams FW34 1:23.347 48 Laps +1.317
10. Daniel Ricciardo Toro Rosso STR7 1:23.393 100 Laps +1.363
11. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull RB8 1:23.608 23 Laps +1.578