Kobayashi was the eighth driver to be fastest in testing so far
Kamui Kobayashi finished the third test session of 2012 on top of the timesheets.
While the Sauber C31 was delayed by a broken exhaust, the Japanese driver set a 1:22.312, ahead of Pastor Maldonado. Kamui is the eighth driver in 8 testing days to be on top, following Kimi Raikkonen, Michael Schumacher, Nico Rosberg, Fernando Alonso, Sebastian Vettel, Nico Hulkenberg and Pastor Maldonado.
He also set 144 laps – the most of any driver so far. Pastor Maldonado set 134 laps and finished 2nd.Paul di Resta went wide at Campsa corner during the day, but recovered to be classified 3rd.
Ferrari focused on making large setup changes to their F2012, and Felipe Massa finished 5th, just behind Jenson Button in 4th.
Two of the slowest teams on the grid suffered the most technical-related woe. Caterham were forced to make an engine change to Heikki Kovalainen’s car limiting him to 70 laps. Meanwhile, Marussia were forced to call off their testing altogether, after suspension damage on Charles Pic’s car couldn’t be repaired.
The final 4-day test will begin on March 1st in Barcelona. Red Bull and Ferrari will arrive to this session one day late, but will continue their running until the 5th.
Times from Barcelona day 4:
1. Kamui Kobayashi Sauber C31 1:22.312 144 Laps
2. Pastor Maldonado Williams FW34 1:22.561 134 Laps +0.249
3. Paul di Resta Force India VJM05 1:23.119 101 Laps +0.807
4. Jenson Button McLaren MP4-27 1:23.200 115 Laps +0.888
5. Felipe Massa Ferrari F2012 1:23.563 103 Laps +1.251
6. Mark Webber Red Bull RB8 1:23.774 85 Laps +1.462
7. Jean-Eric Vergne Toro Rosso STR7 1:23.792 92 Laps +1.480
8. Nico Rosberg Mercedes W03 1:23.843 139 Laps +1.531
9. Heikki Kovalainen Caterham CT-01 1:26.968 70 Laps +4.656