February 22, 2012
Posted by on
Nico Hulkenberg led proceedings for the second day of testing
Force India’s new driver Nico Hulkenberg topped the timesheets for the second day of testing at the Circuit de Catalunya.
The German, who clocked a 1:22.608 put the VJM05 0.04 seconds ahead of Sergio Perez for Sauber. Sebastian Vettel had an entertaining on-track duel with Lewis Hamilton for a few laps, before finishing 3rd.
Fernando Alonso was 4th, and was still cagey on delivering a verdict on the F2012, saying the team had plenty of work still to do. Daniel Ricciardo caused two red flags, only setting 50 laps en route to 5th place.
Both on long-fuel runs, Lewis Hamilton and Vettel duelled on track for several minutes, with Sebastian eventually being allowed through. Lewis ended the session 6th.
At the back of the field, Valtteri Bottas got his first taste of the Williams FW34, setting 117 laps on his first day. Behind him, Vitaly Petrov and Charles Pic were the slowest of today’s testers.
Times from Barcelona day 2:
1. Nico Hulkenberg Force India VJM05 1:22.608 112 Laps
2. Sergio Perez Sauber C31 1:22.648 85 Laps +0.040
3. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull RB8 1:22.891 104 Laps +0.283
4. Fernando Alonso Ferrari F2012 1:23.180 87 Laps +0.572
5. Daniel Ricciardo Toro Rosso STR7 1:23.639 50 Laps +1.031
6. Lewis Hamilton McLaren MP4-27 1:23.806 120 Laps +1.198
7. Nico Rosberg Mercedes W03 1:24.555 82 Laps +1.947
8. Valtteri Bottas Williams FW34 1:25.738 117 Laps +3.130
9. Vitaly Petrov Caterham CT01 1:26.605 69 Laps +3.997
10. Charles Pic Virgin MVR-02 1:27.343 108 Laps +4.735