Barcelona testing day 1: Vettel leads, while Lotus drop out after chassis issues
February 21, 2012
Posted by on
Sebastian Vettel's Red Bull sported an aero measuring device on the rear wing
Sebastian Vettel led the first day of 8 testing days at the Circuit de Catalunya today.
However, the main news story of the day was Lotus dropping out of testing after discovering serious issues with their chassis. More details will be posted on the site later.
Vettel’s time of 1:23.265 was slightly faster than Nico Hulkenberg for Force India. Lewis Hamilton was 3rd for McLaren.
Fernando Alonso, Michael Schumacher and Sergio Perez were within a tenth of a second of each other. Romain Grosjean managed only 7 laps in the Lotus before reporting “strange” handling from the car.
Heikki Kovalainen suffered a rear suspension failure and a spin, leaving him 9th with only 31 laps set. Sauber were forced to retire their C31 after gearbox problems, while Daniel Ricciardo’s Toro Rosso came to a halt on track with an hour to go.
Charles Pic had his first run in the Marussia car, finishing last but setting 121 laps across the day.
Times from Barcelona day 1:
1. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull RB8 1:23.265 79 Laps
2. Nico Hulkenberg Force India VJM05 1:23.440 97 Laps +0.175
3. Lewis Hamilton McLaren MP4-27 1:23.590 114 Laps +0.325
4. Daniel Ricciardo Toro Rosso STR7 1:23.618 76 Laps +0.353
5. Fernando Alonso Ferrari F2012 1:24.100 75 Laps +0.835
6. Michael Schumacher Mercedes W03 1:24.150 51 Laps +0.885
7. Sergio Perez Sauber C31 1:24.219 66 Laps +0.954
8. Bruno Senna Williams FW34 1:25.711 97 Laps +2.446
9. Heikki Kovalainen Caterham CT01 1:26.035 31 Laps +2.770
10. Romain Grosjean Lotus E20 1:26.809 7 Laps +3.544
11. Charles Pic Virgin MVR-02 1:28.026 121 Laps +4.761