Jerez testing day 4: Alonso ends Jerez test on top
February 11, 2012
Posted by on
Fernando Alonso showed some of the pace of the F2012 in the final Jerez test
Fernando Alonso concluded the 4-day test session at Jerez by going quickest in the Ferrari.
In a much colder day than previous days, Alonso set a 1:18.877, beating Jean-Eric Vergne and Sebastian Vettel by 0.7 seconds. The world champion got off to a slow start, being delayed by an electrical problem on the Red Bull RB8.
The top 6 drivers were separated by less than a second. Lewis Hamilton headed Romain Grosjean in 4th and 5th.
Kamui Kobayashi suffered a hydraulics leak in his Sauber C31, causing one of three red flags. Bruno Senna caused the other two when his Williams stopped out on track.
Jarno Trulli finished much slower than the other 8 drivers, but hailed his introductory day in the Caterham CT01 as his “best ever” first test. He also reported no problems with the car’s power steering – an issue he struggled massively with last year.
There will now be a 10-day break before the next test begins at the Circuit de Catalunya.
Times from Jerez day 4:
1. Fernando Alonso Ferrari F2012 1:18.877 39 Laps
2. Jean-Eric Vergne Toro Rosso STR7 1:19.597 80 Laps +0.720
3. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull RB8 1:19.606 49 Laps +0.729
4. Lewis Hamilton McLaren MP4-27 1:19.640 86 Laps +0.763
5. Romain Grosjean Lotus E20 1:19.729 95 Laps +0.852
6. Kamui Kobayashi Sauber C31 1:19.834 76 Laps +0.957
7. Nico Hulkenberg Force India VJM05 1:19.977 90 Laps +1.100
8. Bruno Senna Williams FW34 1:20.132 124 Laps +1.255
9. Jarno Trulli Caterham CT01 1:22.198 117 Laps +3.321