Young driver test Day 3 – Three out of three for Vergne
November 17, 2011
Posted by on
Vergne topped the timesheets every day
Jean-Eric Vergne has topped the third and final young driver test in Abu Dhabi, similar to Daniel Ricciardo last year.
The Frenchman was only 4 tenths of a second slower than Sebastian Vettel’s pole position time here last week. He led Sam Bird and Jules Bianchi by well over 2 seconds.
Bird tested 2012-spec exhausts for Mercedes, which do not feature any off-throttle blowing of the diffuser like this year.
Oliver Turvey drove the McLaren all day, replacing Gary Paffett from yesterday. Max Chilton was 5th, ahead of Esteban Gutierrez and Mirko Bortolotti, who was testing for Williams.
Kevin Ceccon was 8th for Toro Rosso, ahead of Alexander Rossi for Lotus. Jan Charouz drove a Renault today, taking 10th, while Stefano Coletti was ahead of Nathanael Berthon. Virgin again split their running between Robert Wickens and Charles Pic, with both drivers finishing at the back.
Teams ran using a mixture of 2011 and 2012 Pirelli tyres on a variety of fuel loads.
Times from day 3:
1. Jean-Eric Vergne Red Bull-Renault 1:38.917
2. Sam Bird Mercedes GP 1:40.897
3. Jules Bianchi Ferrari 1:41.347
4. Olivier Turvey McLaren-Mercedes 1:41.513
5. Max Chilton Force India-Mercedes 1:41.575
6. Esteban Gutierrez Sauber-Ferrari 1:42.049
7. Mirko Bortolotti Williams-Cosworth 1:43.277
8. Kevin Ceccon Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1:43.686
9. Alexander Rossi Lotus-Renault 1:44.283
10. Jan Charouz Renault 1:44.470
11. Stefano Coletti Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1:44.545
12. Nathanael Berthon HRT-Cosworth 1:45.839
13. Robert Wickens Virgin-Cosworth 1:45.934
14. Charles Pic Virgin-Cosworth 1:46.348