Young driver test Day 2 – Vergne still on top
November 16, 2011
Posted by on
Vergne finished day 2 on top again
Jean-Eric Vergne again headed the timesheets for the young driver test in Abu Dhabi.
A time of 1:40.188 in the morning was enough to secure the Frenchman top spot, despite sensor and KERS issues in the afternoon.
Ferrari test driver Jules Bianchi was again 2nd, but this time was only 0.091 seconds behind the Red Bull. Gary Paffett drove the McLaren for the entire day, and was 3rd, albeit 1.5 seconds slower than Vergne. He caused the only red flag of the day, when his McLaren spilled oil on the track.
Valterri Bottas was 4th for Williams, ahead of newest F1 debutant Johnny Cecotto Junior, driving for Force India. Sauber reserve driver Esteban Gutierrez was 6th.
Sam Bird was 7th for Mercedes, ahead of newcomer Kevin Korjus, driving for Renault. Luiz Razia was 9th for Lotus, with Kevin Ceccon 10th for Toro Rosso.
HRT split their running between Jan Charouz and Nathanael Berthon, who finished 11th and 13th respectively – Berthon only driving for the final half hour. Virgin shoe-in Charles Pic was 12th.
Times from day 2:
1. Jean-Eric Vergne Red Bull-Renault 1:40.188
2. Jules Bianchi Ferrari 1:40.279 0.091
3. Gary Paffett McLaren-Mercedes 1:41.756 1.568
4. Valtteri Bottas Williams-Cosworth 1:42.367 2.179
5. Johnny Cecotto Jr Force India-Mercedes 1:42.873 2.685
6. Esteban Gutierrez Sauber-Ferrari 1:43.637 3.449
7. Sam Bird Mercedes GP 1:43.734 3.546
8. Kevin Korjus Renault 1:43.776 3.588
9. Luiz Razia Lotus-Renault 1:43.944 3.756
10. Kevin Ceccon Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1:44.808 4.620
11. Jan Charouz HRT-Cosworth 1:46.644 6.456
12. Charles Pic Virgin-Cosworth 1:46.698 6.510
13. Nathanael Berthon HRT-Cosworth 1:48.646 8.458