Felipe Massa topped the final day of this test
Felipe Massa led the final day of testing in Barcelona today.
He set the quickest time out of all four days – 1.22.625 – after a successful day running various set-ups and fuel loads.
Trulli's Lotus is recovered after his crash
He was 8 tenths of a second ahead of Mark Webber, while Sebastien Buemi continued Toro Rosso’s good form in 3rd.
Nick Heidfeld was delayed with a KERS issue, but was 4th. Lewis Hamilton made up for losing ground on his rivals in recent days, by setting over 100 laps to take 5th.
Pastor Maldonado was another driver to suffer KERS problems, relating to the water pump, which left him without the device for most of the day. Nevertheless he set the most laps today (121) and was 1.4 seconds behind in 6th. Adrian Sutil, Sergio Perez, Jerome D’Ambrosio and Michael Schumacher were 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th respectively.
It was a disaster for Lotus today. Little more than an hour into the test, and Jarno Trulli crashed at Campsa corner. He had only completed 18 laps, and the car was stuck in the garage for the rest of the day.
Despite his crash, Trulli was still pleased with Lotus’ progress:
“It's obviously disappointing to have the test cut short like this but these things
happen in motor racing. We started the day well and until the accident happened I had
picked up where I left off yesterday.
The car has good balance, pace we can build on and has the potential to help us take
the fight to the midfield, so I'm leaving here feeling confident about the season
ahead and am looking forward to the next test, wherever that will be."
Times from Barcelona Day 4:
Pos Driver Team Time Gap Laps
1. Felipe Massa Ferrari 1.22.625 121
2. Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault 1.23.442 0.817 69
3. Sebastien Buemi Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1.23.550 0.925 90
4. Nick Heidfeld Renault 1.23.657 1.032 95
5. Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 1.24.003 1.378 107
6. Pastor Maldonado Williams-Cosworth 1.24.057 1.432 121
7. Adrian Sutil Force India-Mercedes 1.24.177 1.552 64
8. Sergio Perez Sauber-Ferrari 1.24.515 1.890 74
9. Jerome D'Ambrosio Virgin-Cosworth 1.26.501 3.876 50
10. Michael Schumacher Mercedes 1.27.079 4.454 114
11. Jarno Trulli Lotus-Renault 1.29.992 7.367 18