February 18, 2011
Posted by on
Sebastian Vettel was fastest of the pack today, as the Formula 1 testing season rolled into Barcelona.
He finished the day an entire second ahead of Fernando Alonso, after making his laps in the dying few minutes.
Most of the day was spent on the wet tyres, after heavy rainfall in the area the night before. The track eventually dried out near the end of the day. Jaime Alguersuari was 3rd, and Kamui Kobyashi 4th, although both drivers caused red flags. Alguersuari was the victim of a technical problem, while Kobayashi ran out of fuel after a fuel consumption evaluation run.
Jenson Button and Paul di Resta saw little activity out on track for most of the afternoon, although they were still 5th and 6th. Rubens Barrichello’s day was disrupted by a technical failure and an engine change.
Narain Karthikeyan managed the most laps out of all the drivers (116), but was 4 seconds off the pace – although he was driving last years F110. Heikki Kovalainen and Jerome D’Ambrosio were both well off the pace, and were 10th and 11th respectively.
Vitaly Petrov was miles off the pace, and coupled with a KERS problem, he was stuck at the back of the field with his team-mate. Nick Heidfeld was supposed to be driving in the morning, but only managed 27 laps of pit stop practice.
Times from Barcelona Day 1:
Pos Driver Car/team Time Gap Laps
1. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault 1.24.374 37
2. Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1.25.485 1.111 101
3. Jaime Alguersuari Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1.25.638 1.264 57
4. Kamui Kobayashi Sauber-Ferrari 1.25.641 1.267 78
5. Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes 1.26.365 1.991 77
6. Paul di Resta Force India-Mercedes 1.26.575 2.201 26
7. Rubens Barrichello Williams-Cosworth 1.26.912 2.538 52
8. Michael Schumacher Mercedes 1.27.512 3.138 90
9. Narain Karthikeyan HRT-Cosworth 1.28.393 4.019 116
10. Heikki Kovalainen Lotus-Renault 1.30.065 5.691 54
11. Jerome D'Ambrosio Virgin-Cosworth 1.30.950 6.576 116
12. Vitaly Petrov Renault 1.35.174 10.800 20
13. Nick Heidfeld Renault 1.44.324 19.950 27