Webber hinting at 2011 exit
August 23, 2010
Posted by on
While earlier in the year he silenced the critics who speculated that he would soon retire, Mark Webber appears to be slowly backtracking, as he talked about the possibility of leaving Formula 1 after the 2011 season.
Mark Webber has said that he cannot guarantee him racing in F1 in 2012
The 33-year-old (34 on Friday), who first entered the sport with Minardi in 2002, has been improving all the time, and is now leading the driver’s championship for the first time as well. However, while talking to Globo, he said that he could not guarantee him driving in Formula 1 from 2012 onwards.
“I can not guarantee that my head will be in the same place in
2012. Sure, I want to try and win the world title, I know that
it changes people's lives; it changes the person and I want to
see how it feels.
I also want you to realise that athletes can get over their
dreams, though. Maybe I'll end up doing a little hiking, I
don’t know, but surely some more sporting challenges before
I get too old and return to Australia to drink red wine.”
To be honest, it wouldn’t be too surprising to see Webber leave after 2011. While he is driving better than ever before, it must be noted that he will be 36 at the end of 2011, and if his heart isn’t in it then, there is little point staying. To lead the world championship, and be in contention to win it, must be propelling him through this season, but maybe the team’s favouritism of Sebastian Vettel has had an impact on him.
Only time will tell, but before he leaves, whenever that is, I would like for him to win a championship, and he certainly deserves it this year.