Jerez testing day 3: Rosberg keeps Mercedes on top
February 9, 2012
Posted by on
Rosberg kept the Mercedes W02 on top
Nico Rosberg kept last year’s Mercedes on top of the timesheets for the third day of testing in Jerez.
Rosberg took over from Michael Schumacher, and beat his teammate’s time by over a second today. This concludes Mercedes’ running in Jerez, as they will not take part in testing tomorrow.
Romain Grosjean was fastest of the 2012 cars, finishing ahead of Sebastian Vettel.
Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso made their first appearances in 2012 testing, taking 4th and 7th places respectively.
2012′s new rookies had a difficult day. Giedo van der Garde spun out with an hour to go, finishing 9th. His test was not as bad as Jules Bianchi’s though, as the Force India driver crashed on only his third lap, setting no fast laps. This prevented the team from running Nico Hulkenberg in the afternoon.
Times from Jerez day 3:
1. Nico Rosberg Mercedes W02 1:17.613 118 Laps
2. Romain Grosjean Lotus E20 1:18.419 117 Laps +0.806
3. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull RB8 1:19.297 96 Laps +1.684
4. Lewis Hamilton McLaren MP4-27 1:19.464 80 Laps +1.851
5. Jean-Eric Vergne Toro Rosso STR7 1:19.734 79 Laps +2.121
6. Sergio Perez Sauber C31 1:19.770 48 Laps +2.157
7. Fernando Alonso Ferrari F2012 1:20.412 67 Laps +2.799
8. Bruno Senna Williams FW34 1:21.293 125 Laps +3.680
9. Giedo van der Garde Caterham CT01 1:23.324 74 Laps +5.711
10.Jules Bianchi Force India VJM05 No time 3 Laps N/A