Jerez testing day 2: Schumacher heads the field
February 8, 2012
Posted by on
Schumacher beat Webber to take top spot
Michael Schumacher was fastest in the second test day at Jerez.
The German, driving last year’s W02 was a second faster than yesterday’s time set by Kimi Raikkonen. Mark Webber and Daniel Ricciardo were fastest of the 2012 cars in 2nd and 3rd.
Jules Bianchi, new test driver for Force India, drove the VJM05 in the morning, going 4th. Kimi Raikkonen had an off in the morning, running into the gravel trap.
Felipe Massa and Jenson Button did not make much improvement on yesterday’s times, both focusing on higher-fuel runs. Massa is cagey on talking about the F2012, while Button has descibed the MP4-27 as better all round compared to last year’s model.
Sergio Perez took 9th, after replacing Kamui Kobayashi this morning. Pastor Maldonado was 10th for Williams. Caterham ran KERS on their car for the first time, and Heikki Kovalainen managed an impressive 139 laps without any technical difficulties with the new system.
Pedro de la Rosa was again last for HRT, albeit only 3.5 seconds off Schumacher’s time.
It is expected that we will see Lewis Hamilton, Sebastian Vettel, Fernando Alonso and Giedo van der Garde get their first tastes of their 2012 cars tomorrow.
Times from Jerez day 2:
1. Michael Schumacher Mercedes W02 1:18.561 132 Laps
2. Mark Webber Red Bull RB6 1:19.184 97 Laps +0.623
3. Daniel Ricciardo Toro Rosso STR7 1:19.587 100 Laps +1.026
4. Jules Bianchi Force India VJM05 1:20.221 46 Laps +0.660
5. Kimi Raikkonen Lotus E20 1:20.239 117 Laps +1.678
6. Paul di Resta Force India VJM05 1:20.272 69 Laps +1.711
7. Felipe Massa Ferrari F2012 1:20.454 95 Laps +1.893
8. Jenson Button McLaren MP4-27 1:20.688 85 Laps +2.127
9. Sergio Perez Sauber C31 1:20.711 68 Laps +2.150
10.Pastor Maldonado Williams FW34 1:21.197 97 Laps +2.636
11.Heikki Kovalainen Caterham CT01 1:21.518 139 Laps +2.957
12.Pedro de la Rosa HRT F111 1:22.128 64 Laps +3.567