Jerez testing day 1: Raikkonen leads first day of 2012 testing
February 7, 2012
Posted by on
Raikkonen posted the fastest time in the morning
In the first of a 4-day test session in Jerez, Kimi Raikkonen kicked off the 2012 pre-season testing by topping the timesheets.
The Finn set a 1:19.670 to put his Lotus E2o on top, one tenth of a second ahead of Paul di Resta in the Force India VJM05. Nico Rosberg was 3rd in last year’s Mercedes car.
Red Bull had a slow start to the first day of testing, with fog delaying the arrival of parts for Mark Webber’s RB8. He eventually set 51 laps, finishing 4th. Sister team Toro Rosso were delayed by an oil leak, although Daniel Ricciardo still made it to 5th place.
Michael Schumacher shared the Mercedes with Rosberg, taking 6th ahead of Kamui Kobayashi, Jenson Button and Felipe Massa.
Neither Caterham or Williams got much running of their cars, with Heikki Kovalainen and Pastor Maldonado finishing 10th and 11th. HRT’s Pedro de la Rosa was 0.3 seconds off the Williams in last year’s F111.
Times from Jerez day 1:
1. Kimi Raikkonen Lotus E20 1:19.670 75 Laps
2. Paul di Resta Force India VJM05 1:19.772 101 Laps +0.102
3. Nico Rosberg Mercedes W02 1:20.219 56 Laps +0.549
4. Mark Webber Red Bull RB8 1:20.496 53 Laps +0.826
5. Daniel Ricciardo Toro Rosso STR7 1:20.694 57 Laps +1.024
6. Michael Schumacher Mercedes W02 1:20.794 42 Laps +1.124
7. Kamui Kobayashi Sauber C31 1:21.353 105 Laps +1.683
8. Jenson Button McLaren MP4-27 1:21.530 62 Laps +1.860
9. Felipe Massa Ferrari F2012 1:22.815 69 Laps +3.145
10.Heikki Kovalainen Caterham CT01 1:23.178 28 Laps +3.508
11.Pastor Maldonado Williams FW34 1:23.371 25 Laps +3.701
12.Pedro de la Rosa HRT F111 1:23.676 44 Laps +4.006